Updated: Dec 12, 2019
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the upper airway and is influenced by these Clinical signs:
1. constricted airway – measured by a Mallampati score *See end of list
2. large neck circumference
Over 15 inches in women; Over 16 inches in men
3. oversized and/or inflamed uvula
4. extra large tongue
5. enlarged tonsils ~ a droopy soft palate
6. retrognathic mandibular jaw.
7. obesity 8. heavy or struggled breathing
9.Scalloped Tongue Edges -
caused by tongue forced against the teeth, gasping for breath.
12. obvious lack of energy 13. daytime sleepiness during dental appointment or while driving, or watching TV, etc.
14. lack of focus in children
-in 20% of ADHD victims.
15. Mallampati Classification
*MALLAMPATI CLASSIFICATION You may do this self exam in front of a mirror. If you score in Class III or IV, or if you have the conditions described above you may call me for a complementary evaluation